In 2022, the European Commission's School Education Gateway and eTwinning platforms will merge into the European School Education Platform: all the content and services will be under one roof. Find out how this will affect your accounts on School Education Gateway and eTwinning.
1. When was the initial version of the European School Education Platform launched?
The initial version (“beta”) of the European School Education Platform was released on 3 June 2022. It offers the core eTwinning functionalities for the registration of new eTwinners and for conducting projects. Iterative releases with updated and new features and content will be deployed during the following months of 2022.
2. What is the new URL of the platform? And what about the existing URLs?
The new platform is available at the URL: school-education.ec.europa.eu
All the existing URLs (www.etwinning.net, live.etwinning.net, twinspace.etwinning.net, nso.etwinning.net and www.schooleducationgateway.eu) will redirect to the new Platform when the old platforms are discontinued on 15.9.2022.
3. What eTwinning functionalities are part of the initial version of the new platform?
In this initial stage the platform caters especially to eTwinning users, who will find there:
- Partner-finding features
- Creation of new eTwinning projects, including their TwinSpaces
- Creation of new eTwinning Groups
Some of the services remain on the old eTwinning platform, until its closure on 15.9.2022:
- Limited features of eTwinning Live
- Existing eTwinning projects
- Existing eTwinning Groups
- News, articles, kits and other content in up to 33 languages
Please note that registration of new users (and eTwinning projects) is possible only in the new platform.
4. What School Education Gateway features are part of the initial version of the new platform?
All the editorial content and Erasmus+ tools (on-site course catalogue, mobility opportunities, and strategic partnerships) will stay on the School Education Gateway legacy platform until it is closed. These features will be gradually integrated to the new platform in the second semester 2022.
5. What is expected after the beta version launch?
The following releases are expected:
- Migration of existing TwinSpaces to the new Platform (see later for more information)
- Migration of existing eTwinning Groups to the new Platform (see later for more information)
- Advanced search features (users, schools/organisations, partner finding)
- eTwinning School Label application process
- Internal Mailbox system (for eTwinning)
- Professional Development area (webinars, courses catalogue)
- Resources area (Viewpoints. Tutorials, Research, teaching materials, practice, publications)
More features will be added in the coming months.
1. How can I register on the new European School Education Platform?
Registration and login at the European School Education Platform - including eTwinning – is only possible with an EU Login account. The EU Login enables access to all the various platforms of the European Commission (i.e. Single Sign-On).
Existing users must create an EU Login account with the same email address used when registering in eTwinning or on the School Education Gateway to synchronise their old and new accounts, including migration of personal data to the new account. Learn in this article how to create an EU Login.
2. I have an eTwinning or School Education Gateway account. Can I use it to login to the new European School Education Platform?
Even if you have an eTwinning or School Education Gateway account you will not be able to access the European School Education Platform. To access the European School Education Platform you have to use EU Login. Please see above “How can I register on the new platform”.
3. I have an EU Login account with a different email address compared to the eTwinning platform or the School Education Gateway. What should I do?
It is important that the email address on your EU Login account is the same as your account on the eTwinning platform, or School Education Gateway platform if you don’t have an eTwinning account. This will allow you to synchronise the accounts and enable your profile data (name, surname, school, contacts, projects, etc.) to be migrated to the new platform.
Please (temporarily) update the email address on your EU Login account to match the email address on eTwinning or School Education Gateway. You can change back the email address of your EU Login account after you have logged in to the new platform for the first time.
4. I don't remember which email address I used when I registered to the platform. Where can I find this information?
5. Will my user profile be migrated to the new platform?
Yes, if you use the same email address for your EU Login account when registering on the new platform as used in eTwinning or on School Education Gateway, your user profile will be migrated to the new platform. This includes your personal information, and any organisations you might be linked to. Some data related to your previous activities on the platform will not be migrated or migrated only in a cumulative approach (see the other Q&A). Please note that if you have both an eTwinning and a School Education Gateway account, only the data from your eTwinning account will be migrated.
6. I already logged in to the new platform but my email addresses on the old and the new platform didn't match. Now my data is not migrated. Can I fix this by changing still my email address of my EU Login account?
If you have completed the registration at the new platform, it will not be possible to retrieve the account data from the old platforms by later changing the email address on EU Login.
1. I published courses on the School Education Gateway’s course catalogue. Will they be migrated to the new platform?
No, the courses that you published on the School Education Gateway will not be migrated to the new platform. Course providers can contact the School Education Gateway helpdesk to get an export of their courses. The export request must be submitted latest by 25 August 2022.
However, an exception will be made to courses that have received reviews submitted by participants in their mobility report via the Erasmus+ IT systems. Course descriptions will have to be adjusted manually to follow the new requirements regarding information and restrictions regarding length. Providers that have courses with reviews therefore are invited to contact the School Education Gateway helpdesk, latest by 25 August 2022.
2. Will the listings of mobility opportunities and strategic partnerships be migrated to the new platform?
No, any mobility opportunities or strategic partnership requests that have been created will not be migrated to the new platform. However, these listings will still be available and editable on the School Education Gateway until the second semester 2022. This gives you the time to copy and save any text you might want to save.
3. Will I have access to my School Education Gateway / Teacher Academy course badges & certificates on the new platform?
No, badges and certificates you earned on the School Education Gateway will not be migrated to the new platform. However, your course badges & certificates and webinar certificates will stay available in your School Education Gateway profile until the second semester 2022. This gives you the time to download your PDF certificates, and you can export your course badges to Badgr. More information about School Education Gateway certification.
4. In the new platform, where can I find online professional development (online courses and webinars)?
All professional development activities will be accessible via the “Development” section of the new platform. Online professional development activities will take place on the European Commission’s EU Academy platform.
5. Can I access the online courses that I previously attended on the School Education Gateway also on the new platform?
No, online courses currently available on the School Education Gateway will not be migrated to the new platform. Access to the courses on the School Education Gateway will remain available until the second semester 2022.
6. Can I access the teaching materials, articles, and tutorials currently on the School Education Gateway also on the new platform?
Both old and new editorial content (including teaching materials, articles, and tutorials) will stay available at the School Education Gateway until the second semester and will be migrated to the new platform during the course of 2022.
7. Will the European Toolkit for Schools be part of the new platform?
All resources and other materials from the European Toolkit for Schools will be migrated to the new platform. Its “packaging”, structure, and inherit navigation will remain available in an adequate way compatible with the new platform. It will become available in thematic area dedicated to ‘Inclusion’ as part of the School & System Development section of the website. The developed concept for packaging and navigation will equally allow for the embedding of future toolkits on the European School Education Platform.
8. I have used the European Toolkit for Schools’ self assessment tool and questionnaire. Will the result PDFs in my profile be migrated to the new platform?
No, the results from the self-assessment or the questionnaire will not be migrated. If you want to keep them, please download and save the PDFs on your local computer before September 2022.
9. As a School Education Gateway user, I have many items in my profile’s favourites (courses, mobility opportunities, articles). Will they be migrated?
No, the items that you favourited will not be migrated. The links will become obsolete after the School Education Gateway platform closes.
10. I’m subscribed for the School Education Gateway newsletter. Will I still be receiving it?
You will receive the School Education Gateway newsletter until the newsletter from the new European School Education Platform becomes available.
1. Will the content of the existing eTwinning Groups be migrated to the new platform?
Groups with any activities which took place between 1 January 2021 and 21.02.2022 will be migrated to the new platform together with their content and materials created after 1.7.2018. Groups with no activity during 2021 and 2022 will be removed. In any case, eTwinners will be able to download the contents of their eTwinning Groups, which are relevant to them and they may wish to reuse.
The migrated eTwinning Groups will be accessible from the eTwinning area of the new Platform on 15.9.2022.
2. What of my content in eTwinning will be migrated to the new platform?
The following content in eTwinning will be migrated:
- TwinSpaces: content created after 1.7.2018 of projects which were registered after 1.7.2018
- Groups: content created after 1.7.2018 of those Groups which had activities between 1.1.2021 and 21.2.2022. Groups which had no activities in the timeframe mentioned above are considered “inactive” and will become read-only on 13.3.2022.
In the coming months of 2022:
- User profile: main information since users’ registration
- Events: main data created by CSS, NSO and Ambassadors
3. I am an eTwinner since 2010 and I have been involved in many activities, all displayed in my profile and portfolio. Will this information be migrated to the new platform?
The information currently contained in your eTwinning Portfolio will be migrated into your new European School Education Platform Portfolio in the course of the second semester 2022. Your profile – which may be visible to all users if you wish so - will only show your activities as from 1.7.2018. In general, all activities on the platform which took place before 1.7.2018 will be deleted, so please download everything you wish to keep.
4. Will I be able to apply for the National Quality Label?
Running projects can apply for the National Quality Label (NQL) in the current eTwinning Live projects section - where partners and administrators can also continue managing the project and access the projects' TwinSpace. Please check with your National Support Organisation the deadline.
5. What will happen to eTwinning Live events?
eTwinning Live events (both on-site and online) will be discontinued in the new platform. During the second semester 2022, a new feature will be available - called 'Rooms' - allowing users to create a micro-group including a meeting place for video-conferencing sessions, a forum and a file archive. All eTwinners will be allowed to create Rooms and invite other eTwinners to participate.
6. What about the progression bar in eTwinning? Will I lose my progress?
The Progression Bar will remain as one of the features in eTwinning and it will be added in the coming months of 2022. The score concept will remain but the activities to progress will be adjusted to the features available in the new platform.
7. What will happen to my events in my profile?
Events organised by National Support Organisations and Central Support Service will be migrated to and visible in the new European School Education Platform Portfolio, available from My Dashboard in the coming months of 2022.
8. I usually post messages in the eTwinning Partner Finding forum to find colleagues. What will happen to this forum?
A new area called 'Networking' allows eTwinners to create project ideas by 'posting' messages and replying to existing ones. All posts in the current partner finding forums were deleted when the new platform (Beta) was launched and the partner finding forums in eTwinning Live will be deactivated.
9. What will happen to my mailbox messages?
The new European School Education Platform will use a new mailbox system which will be released on 15.9.2022. Unfortunately, the messages which have been exchanged in eTwinning Live will be deleted.
10. Can I continue running the project that I am involved in this school year?
All running projects, and the related TwinSpaces, will be active and accessible from eTwinning Live until 15.9.2022, when the content of the TwinSpaces created after 1.7.2018 will be migrated to the new platform and will be visible on 15.9.2022. Projects – for instance linked with Erasmus+ multiannual projects – which plan to continue their activities beyond the school year 2021/2022, can be reopened in the ‘projects’ section of eTwinning and continue the activities in the new platform.
11. What will happen to the content of my TwinSpaces?
- TwinSpaces of projects created after 1.7.2018 (started working in the school year 2018/2019): They will be migrated to the new platform and visible on 15.9.2022.
- TwinSpaces of projects created before 1.7. 2018: they will be removed.
- We encourage eTwinners to download the content of their TwinSpaces they find relevant and may want to reuse.
12. What will happen to my feeds and comments in eTwinning Live?
All feeds’ posts and comments to other feeds’ posts will be deleted.
13. What will happen to my profile pictures in eTwinning Live?
The main profile picture will be migrated to the new platform. All other profile pictures will be deleted.
14. I am a member of five eTwinning Groups. Do I need to join these Groups again when the new platform is launched?
All eTwinning Groups which were active between 1.1.2021 and 22.2.2022 will be migrated including their respective group members into the new platform on 15.9.2022. Groups which were inactive between 1.1.2021 and 22.2.2022 will not be migrated.
15. How do I download the content of my TwinSpaces and Groups which are not migrated?
You can download all the files from the materials section of the TwinSpace/Groups by selecting the file you want to download and clicking on ‘download’. You can save the images by viewing each image’s original and saving the file in the browser’s window.
16. In the new platform am I going to keep contacts and followers?
Your contacts will not be migrated to the new platform. The information about the users you follow or who follow you will not be migrated.
17. Will I have access to the Learning Lab of the events I have participated?
No, the Learning Lab and all its content of all past events will be deleted.
18. Where can I find the professional development offer?
The professional development offer can be found in the "Development" area of the European School Education Platform as from 15.9.2022. All courses will take place on the EU Academy.
19. I have arranged to work on a project from February to October 2022. Should I change my planning and finish earlier or can I continue in the new platform when the TwinSpace is migrated?
We advise ending the activities of your projects by July 2022, unless you planned to continue for another school year. In this case, you may create a new project or re-open your existing project and continue working in the new TwinSpace (which will have the content of the old one created after 1.7.2018).
20. Will the current eTwinning platform still be available when the new platform is launched?
The current eTwinning platform will phase out progressively during the second semester 2022 and it will be discontinued on 15 September 2022. Users will be able to continue their participation in running projects and in active Groups until 30.8.2022. A from that day, Groups and TwinSpaces will be available in read-only mode until the eTwinning platform and all its services will be discontinued on 15.9.2022.
eTwinners will be able to access, with their ‘old’ username and password, only the following sections of eTwinning Live:
- Projects. This allows to manage their own projects, apply for the Quality Label, access and work on the projects’ TwinSpace
- Groups. This allows users to connect and work on their eTwinning Groups.
As from the 15.9.2022, also these activities will take place on the European School Education Platform. All new projects and Groups must be created in the new platform which users can access with their EU login account.
21. Until when will I be able to access my TwinSpaces and eTwinning Groups on the old platform?
TwinSpaces and eTwinning Groups will be migrated to the new platform during the first week of September 2022. Access to TwinSpaces and Groups in the old platform will be allowed in read-only mode as from 30.8.2022.
Users will have full access to their TwinSpaces and Groups again, in the new platform, as from 15.9.2022. Groups and TwinSpaces will include the migrated content as specified in questions 1 and 2.
1. I have a question about the migration to the new platform and it is not answered above, or I need further support. What do I do?
eTwinners can contact their National Support Organisation.
School Education Gateway users can contact its helpdesk.
2. What will happen to the eTwinning App?
The current eTwinning App will be available until the old platform is online, until the second semester 2022. A new version of the App will be developed later in 2022.