In 2022, the European Commission's School Education Gateway and eTwinning platforms will merge into the European School Education Platform: all the content and services will be under one roof. Find out how this will affect your accounts on School Education Gateway and eTwinning.
1. When will the initial version of the European School Education Platform be launched?
The initial version of the European School Education Platform will be released on 16 May 2022. It will deliver the core eTwinning functionalities for the registration of new eTwinners and for conducting projects. Iterative releases with updated and new features and content will be deployed during the following months of 2022.
2. What will be the new URL of the platform? And what about the existing URLs?
The new platform will have the URL: school-education.ec.europa.eu
All the existing URLs (www.etwinning.net, live.etwinning.net, twinspace.etwinning.net, nso.etwinning.net and www.schooleducationgateway.eu) continue functioning until the old platforms are discontinued (second semester 2022). Nevertheless, the creation of projects on the legacy eTwinning platform will be disabled. New projects have to be created on the new platform. Similarly, new content so far published on the SEG shall be published on the new platform as soon as the necessary functionalities are available. When legacy platforms are shut down, their URLs will be redirected to the new platform to the respective areas.
3. What eTwinning functionalities will be part of the initial version of the new platform?
The initial version of the platform will allow eTwinners to create new projects and to work on the new version of the TwinSpace. Some of the features of eTwinning Live will be available in the new eTwinning area and others in the networking and professional development area of the Platform. Current and existing eTwinning projects will continue their activities in the old platform as usual, until the discontinuation of the old platform in the second semester of 2022. Active eTwinning Groups will continue their activities in the old platform, until the features are available in the new platform.
4. What School Education Gateway features will be part of the initial version of the new platform?
In the initial version of the new platform, users can find the catalogue of online courses and webinars (known until now as the School Education Gateway Teacher Academy). However, all the editorial content and Erasmus+ tools (on-site course catalogue, mobility opportunities, and strategic partnerships) will stay on the School Education Gateway legacy platform until it is closed.
1. How can I register on the new European School Education Platform?
Registration and login at the European School Education Platform - including eTwinning – is only possible with an EU Login account. The EU Login enables access to all the various platforms of the European Commission (i.e. Single Sign-On).
Existing users must create an EU Login account with the same email address used when registering in eTwinning or on the School Education Gateway to synchronise their old and new accounts, including migration of personal data to the new account. The eTwinning Central Support Service will be sharing an article that explains how to create an EU Login and organise a communication campaign about this.
2. I have an eTwinning or School Education Gateway account. Can I use it to login to the new European School Education Platform?
Even if you have an eTwinning or School Education Gateway account you will not be able to access the European School Education Platform. To access the European School Education Platform you have to use EU Login. Please see above “How can I register on the new platform”.
3. I have an EU Login account with a different email address compared to the eTwinning platform or the School Education Gateway. What should I do?
It is important that the email address on the EU login is the same on the eTwinning platform, or School Education Gateway platform if you don’t have an eTwinning account. This will allow you to synchronise the accounts and enable your profile data (name, surname, school, contacts, projects, etc.) to be migrated to the new platform.
We recommend you update the email address of either your eTwinning and School Education Gateway accounts or of EU Login (whatever is outdated). eTwinners can do this from 'Edit my account' in eTwinning Live. School Education Gateway users can do this via their profile and then 'Edit profile'. EU Login users can do this via "My Account" > "Configure my account".
4. I don't remember which email address I used when I registered to the platform. Where can I find this information?
To find the email addresses used, please go to ‘My profile’ on eTwinning Live or on the School Education Gateway. In your profile you can also update your email address to make it match with the one you have in the EU Login account.
5. Will my user profile be migrated to the new platform?
Yes, if you use the same email address for your EU Login account when registering on the new platform as used in eTwinning or on School Education Gateway, your user profile will be migrated to the new platform. This includes your personal information, and any organisations you might be linked to. Some data related to your previous activities on the platform will not be migrated or migrated only in a cumulative approach (see the other Q&A). Please note that if you have both an eTwinning and a School Education Gateway account, only the data from your eTwinning account will be migrated.
6. There is an option to change email for the EU Login after registration. At any point, if the email is synchronised after the new platform launch, will the data synchronise once the email has been changed?
If the user has completed the ESEP registration, it will not be possible to retrieve the account data from the old platforms by later changing the email address on EU Login.
1. I published courses on the School Education Gateway’s course catalogue. Will they be migrated to the new platform?
No, the courses that you published on the School Education Gateway will not be migrated to the new platform. Course providers can contact the School Education Gateway helpdesk to get an export of their courses. The export request must be submitted latest by 15 June 2022.
However, an exception will be made to courses that have received reviews submitted by participants in their mobility report via the Erasmus+ IT systems. Course descriptions will have to be adjusted manually to follow the new requirements regarding information and restrictions regarding length. Providers that have courses with reviews therefore are invited to contact the School Education Gateway helpdesk, latest by 15 May.
2. Will the listings of mobility opportunities and strategic partnerships be migrated to the new platform?
No, any mobility opportunities or strategic partnership requests that have been created will not be migrated to the new platform. However, these listings will still be available and editable on the School Education Gateway until the second semester 2022. This gives you the time to copy and save any text you might want to save.
3. Will I have access to my School Education Gateway / Teacher Academy course badges & certificates on the new platform?
No, badges and certificates you earned on the School Education Gateway will not be migrated to the new platform. However, your course badges & certificates and webinar certificates will stay available in your School Education Gateway profile until the second semester 2022. This gives you the time to download your PDF certificates, and you can export your course badges to Badgr. More information about School Education Gateway certification.
4. In the new platform, where can I find online professional development (online courses and webinars)?
All professional development activities will be accessible via the “Development” section of the new platform. Online professional development activities will take place on the European Commission’s EU Academy platform.
5. Can I access the online courses that I previously attended on the School Education Gateway also on the new platform?
No, online courses currently available on the School Education Gateway will not be migrated to the new platform. Access to the courses on the School Education Gateway will remain available until the second semester 2022.
6. Can I access the teaching materials, articles, and tutorials currently on the School Education Gateway also on the new platform?
Both old and new editorial content (including teaching materials, articles, and tutorials) will stay available at the School Education Gateway until the second semester and will be migrated to the new platform during the course of 2022.
7. Will the European Toolkit for Schools be part of the new platform?
All resources and other materials from the European Toolkit for Schools will be migrated to the new platform. Its “packaging”, structure, and inherit navigation will remain available in an adequate way compatible with the new platform. It will become available in thematic area dedicated to ‘Inclusion’ as part of the School & System Development section of the website. The developed concept for packaging and navigation will equally allow for the embedding of future toolkits on the European School Education Platform.
8. I have used the European Toolkit for Schools’ selfassessment tool and questionnaire. Will the result PDFs in my profile be migrated to the new platform?
No, the results from the self-assessment or the questionnaire will not be migrated. If you want to keep them, please download and save the PDFs on your local computer before July 2022.
9. As a School Education Gateway user, I have many items in my profile’s favourites (courses, mobility opportunities, articles). Will they be migrated?
No, the items that you favourited will not be migrated. The links will become obsolete after the School Education Gateway platform closes.
10. I’m subscribed for the School Education Gateway newsletter. Will I still be receiving it?
You will receive the School Education Gateway newsletter until the newsletter from the new European School Education Platform becomes available.
1. Will the content of the existing eTwinning Groups be migrated to the new platform?
Groups with any activities which took place between 1 January 2021 and 21.02.2022 will be migrated to the new platform together with their content and materials created after 1.7.2018. Groups with no activity during 2021 and 2022 will be removed. In any case, eTwinners will be able to download the contents of their eTwinning Groups, which are relevant to them and they may wish to reuse
2. What of my content in eTwinning will be migrated to the new platform?
The following content in eTwinning will be migrated:
- TwinSpaces: content created after 1.7.2018 of projects which were registered after 1.7.2018
- Groups: content created after 1.7.2018 of those Groups which had activities between 1.1.2021 and 21.2.2022. Groups which had no activities in the timeframe mentioned above are considered “inactive” and will become read-only on 13.3.2022.
- User profile: main information since users’ registration
- Events: main data created by CSS, NSO and Ambassadors
3. I am an eTwinner since 2010 and I have been involved in many activities, all displayed in my profile and portfolio. Will this information be migrated to the new platform?
The information currently contained in your eTwinning Portfolio will be migrated into your new European School Education Platform Portfolio. Your profile – which may be visible to all users if you wish so - will only show your activities as from 1.7.2018. In general, all activities on the platform which took place before 1.7.2018 will be deleted, so please download everything you wish to keep.
4. Will I be able to apply for the National Quality Label?
Running projects can apply for the National Quality Label (NQL) in the current eTwinning Live projects section - where partners and administrators can also continue managing the project and access the projects' TwinSpace. Please check with your National Support Organisation the deadline.
5. What will happen to eTwinning Live events?
eTwinning Live events (both on-site and online) will be discontinued in the new platform. During 2022, a new feature will be available - called 'Rooms' - allowing users to create a micro-group including a meeting place for video-conferencing sessions, a forum and a file archive. All eTwinners will be allowed to create Rooms and invite other eTwinners to participate.
6. What about the progression bar in eTwinning? Will I lose my progress?
The Progression Bar will remain as one of the features in eTwinning and it will be added later. The score concept will remain but the activities to progress will be adjusted to the features available in the new platform.
7. What will happen to my events in my profile?
Events organised by National Support Organisations and Central Support Service will be migrated to and visible in the new European School Education Platform Portfolio, available from My Dashboard.
8.I usually post messages in the eTwinning Partner Finding forum to find colleagues. What will happen to this forum?
A new area called 'Networking' allows eTwinners to create project ideas by 'posting' messages and replying to existing ones. All posts in the current partner finding forums will be deleted when the new platform is launched and the partner finding forums in eTwinning Live will be deactivated.
9. What will happen to my mailbox messages?
The new European School Education Platform uses a new mailbox system, which will be released shortly. Unfortunately, the messages which have been exchanged in eTwinning Live will be deleted.
10. Can I continue running the project that I am involved in this school year?
All running projects, and the related TwinSpaces, will be active and accessible from eTwinning Live until the second semester 2022, when the content of the TwinSpaces created after 1.7.2018 will be migrated to the new platform. Projects – for instance linked with Erasmus+ multiannual projects – which plan to continue their activities beyond the school year 2021/2022, can be reopened in the ‘projects’ section of eTwinning and continue the activities in the new platform.
11. What will happen to the content of my TwinSpaces?
- TwinSpaces of projects created after 1.7.2018 (started working in the school year 2018/2019): They will be migrated to the new platform.
- TwinSpaces of projects created before 1.7. 2018: they will be removed.
- We encourage eTwinners to download the content of their TwinSpaces they find relevant and may want to reuse.
12. What will happen to my feeds and comments in eTwinning Live?
All feeds’ posts and comments to other feeds’ posts will be deleted.
13. What will happen to my profile pictures in eTwinning Live?
All profile pictures will be deleted. You will have to upload a new profile picture for your eTwinning account.
14. I am a member of five eTwinning Groups. Do I need to join these Groups again when the new platform is launched?
All eTwinning Groups which were active between 1.1.2021 and 22.2.2022 will be migrated including their respective group members into the new platform as from the second semester 2022. Groups which were inactive between 1.1.2021 and 22.2.2022 will not be migrated.
15. How do I download the content of my TwinSpaces and Groups which are not migrated?
You can download all the files from the materials section of the TwinSpace/Groups by selecting the file you want to download and clicking on ‘download’. You can save the images by viewing each image’s original and saving the file in the browser’s window.
16. In the new platform am I going to keep contacts and followers?
All your contacts will be migrated to the new platform. The information about the users you follow or who follow you will not be migrated.
17. Will I have access to the Learning Lab of the events I have participated?
No, the Learning Lab and all its content of all past events will be deleted.
18. Where can I find the professional development offer?
The professional development offer can be found in the "Development" area of the European School Education Platform. All courses will take place on the EU Academy.
19. I have arranged to work on a project from February to October 2022. Should I change my planning and finish earlier or can I continue in the new platform when the TwinSpace is migrated?
We advise to end the activities of your projects by July 2022, unless you planned to continue for another school year. In this case, you may create a new project or re-open your existing project and continue working in the new TwinSpace (which will have the content of the old one created after 1.7.2018).
20. Will the current eTwinning platform still be available when the new platform is launched?
The current eTwinning platform will phase out progressively during the second semester 2022. Users will be able to continue their participation in running projects and in active Groups.
eTwinners will be able to access, with their ‘old’ username and password, only the following sections of eTwinning Live:
- Projects. This allows to manage their own projects, apply for the Quality Label, access and work on the projects’ TwinSpace
- Groups. This allows users to connect and work on their eTwinning Groups.
As from the second semester 2022, also these activities will take place on the European School Education Platform. All new projects and Groups must be created in the new platform which users can access with their EU login account.
1. I have a question about the migration to the new platform and it is not answered above, or I need further support. What do I do?
eTwinners can contact their National Support Organisation.
School Education Gateway users can contact its helpdesk.
2. What will happen to the eTwinning App?
The current eTwinning App will be available until the old platform is online, until the second semester 2022. A new version of the App will be developed later in 2022.